Technical Art – Basic Lighting
For this Technical Art assignment, I worked on lighting a dark fantasy harbor environment in Unreal Engine.
The original scene was provided with very little environmental lighting, so I developed the lighting setup from the ground up with the goal of creating a spooky nighttime atmosphere in a harbor surrounded by the ocean.
What I worked on:
- Added exterior lighting throughout the harbor to improve visibility and establish the nighttime mood.
- Added interior lighting to the buildings.
- Adjusted the fog and directional lighting to create a dark, atmospheric environment.
- Added light function materials to create moving caustic effects that simulate light interacting with the water.
- Added a flickering light to simulate a candle and make the lighting feel more natural.
- Used warm interior and environmental lights to create contrast against the darker surroundings.
Goal
My main goal was to create a consistent nighttime atmosphere while keeping the environment readable. I focused on using lighting not only to illuminate the scene, but also to create mood and guide attention toward the buildings and other areas of interest.
This project helped me gain more experience with Unreal Engine lighting, fog, light functions, and atmospheric lighting, while also giving me a better understanding of how lighting can affect the overall presentation of an environment.
Software: Unreal Engine
No comments:
Post a Comment