Wednesday, September 9, 2026

FIEA - Stranger Things Environment Level

 






About it:


This project was created as a portfolio review submission for FIEA (UCF). I chose a Stranger Things–inspired theme to focus on atmosphere, environmental storytelling, and player guidance within a short, linear experience.

The level is divided into three main areas:
  • Hawkins Lab (starting area)
  • The Upside Down forest (mid-section)
  • The Byers’ living room (end point)
Level Design Process
  • I began by collecting references from the show and creating a blockout to define player flow, pacing, and key moments.
In the lab, I designed:
  • Clear paths using debris and locked doors
  • Trigger volumes for Demogorgon spawns and falling debris
  • Lighting to guide player movement and attention
  • Once the layout was solid, I moved into a basic art pass and lighting to support readability and mood.
Upside Down Environment
  • For the forest section, I prioritized lighting and atmosphere before adding assets. I set up dynamic lighting, weather effects, lightning, and particles using Unreal Engine and a dynamic weather plugin.
To reinforce immersion:
  • I used Quixel assets and custom Blender props
  • Added environmental landmarks (highway, abandoned car)
  • Placed a large Mind Flayer silhouette in the background to suggest constant threat
  • A trigger under the bridge spawns a Demogorgon to maintain tension and pacing.
  • Player Guidance & Immersion
Player movement is guided through environmental design rather than UI:
  • Debris, fallen trees, and obstacles control navigation
  • The layout encourages jumping, crouching, and spatial awareness
  • Lighting is used to signal the correct path (flashlights in the lab, flickering lights in the forest)
  • Sound effects (alarms, debris, creatures) were added to support atmosphere and player feedback.
Final Scene & Scale
  • The experience ends in the Byers’ living room, using flickering Christmas lights and a locked door to clearly communicate completion.
  • The player character is intentionally scaled as a child, making environments feel larger and more intimidating, reinforcing immersion and tension.
Tools
  • Unreal Engine · Blender · Quixel Bridge · Niagara · Blueprints · Dynamic Weather Plugin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recreate Existing Level

 THIS BLOG POST WILL BE UPDATED AFTER THE ASSIGNMENT IS COMPLETED: REF IMAGES: